Latest near death experience re-sparks calls for ban of toxic weed killer

A New South Wales Central Coast man is lucky to be alive after accidentally drinking a highly toxic combination of herbicides.

Damien Terry, who suffers severe autism, mistakenly drank store-bought weed killers Paraquat and Diquat in August.

The 21-year-old and his carer were visiting a sports oval when he started vomiting after returning from the toilet.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Mr Terry sipped the deadly cocktail of weed killers after finding them in a Coca-Cola bottle.

He was in intensive care for two weeks before his family were told he would recover from the poison.

In recent years, there have been calls for Paraquat to be banned completely, with allegations the herbicide causes Parkinson’s disease.

The weed-killer is widely used on Australian farms to control grass and broadleaf weeds but it is banned in 32 countries.

Mr Terry’s family told the ABC they want a nationwide ban.

“It defies logic in my mind that this is available over the counter for anybody to purchase,” His mother said.

“Everybody knows these days that health and safety is a very common agenda for all of us in the workplace so I feel a bit disillusioned that the authorities didn’t keep an eye on that.”

 

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments