Crowdfunding page for Vegas shooting victims raises nearly $4M in one day

UPDATE @ October 4, 7.00am: A crowdfunding page for the victims of the Las Vegas shooting massacre has raised almost $4 million in just over one day.

Clark County Commission Chair from Las Vegas, Steve Sisolak, started the gofundme campaign to provide “relief and financial support to the victims and families of the horrific Las Vegas mass shooting​.”

So far, it has already raised $3,947,642 of a $4.5 million goal.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


In a press conference on Wednesday, Mr Sisolak confirmed that an additional $3.6 million had also been donated – with $300 million provided by MGM Resorts International, $500,000 from a private citizen, and $100,000 from another private citizen.

The death toll from Sunday’s horrific mass shooting, the deadliest in modern US history, stands at 59, with hundreds of people still in a critical condition in hospital.

On Tuesday, The American College of Physicians released a statement saying that gun violence is a public health issue, calling for a ban on automatic and semiautomatic weapons.

“We must acknowledge that lack of a U.S policy to address gun violence is the reason we have much higher rates of injuries and deaths from firearms violence than other countries,” ACP President Jack Ende wrote.

“Specifically, we call for a ban on the sale and ownership of semiautomatic weapons. These are military-style “assault” weapons that were designed to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible.”

However, when asked about gun control by reporters on Tuesday afternoon, Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell declared “this is simply not the time to be talking about legislation targeting firearms”.

“It’s particularly inappropriate to politicize an event like this,” Mr McConnell said.

“It just happened within the last day and half. Entirely premature to be discussing about legislative solutions if any.”

Following Sunday’s attack, gun stocks in the US jumped more than 3 per cent, which is a dangerous trend that seems to occur after almost every mass shooting in the US.

EARLIER @ October 3, 6.15am: THE death toll from the mass shooting in Las Vegas has risen to at least 59.

More than 520 people are also being treated in hospitals for various injuries following the deadly event, which is being dubbed the worst shooting in US history.

Just after 10.00pm on Sunday, 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock opened fire on a crowd of more than 22,000 concert-goers from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said the victims were across the street attending the Route 91 Harvest Festival concert when “bullets rang out.”

The “lone shooter”, who was a Nevada local, was found dead when the SWAT team stormed his hotel room shortly after.

Officers immediately launched a manhunt for a woman, believed to be the shooter’s girlfriend, however she has since been cleared of any involvement in the mass shooting.

“Marilou Daley is no longer being sought out as a person of interest,” the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement to CNN.

There are multiple reports Ms Danley was a resident of the Gold Coast, before she moved to the US about 20 years ago.

“We are aware of media reports referring to Marilou Danley as an Australian woman in connection with the shooting incident in Las Vegas,” DFAT said in a statement on Tuesday.

“Given the local authorities are still investigating the incident, we cannot comment further on these reports.”

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop confirmed on Tuesday that at this stage no Australians have been identified among those killed or injured.

WATCH:

 

EARLIER @ October 2, 6.30pm: A GUNMAN has opened fire at the popular Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas.

At least 20 people have been killed and more than 100 injured, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department confirmed.

“At the moment we believe it is 100-plus injured and 20-plus dead,” Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters.

It’s understood the victims were attending an outdoor country music concert when they were targeted by the “lone wolf” attacker, who started firing from the 32nd floor of the hotel.

Police confirmed the shooter, believed to be a Nevada local, was shot dead by police when officers stormed his room.

“At this time, we do not believe there are any more shooters,” Sheriff Lombardo confirmed following reports there were multiple gunmen.

WATCH:

However, officers are now searching for two vehicles and a possible “asian female” companion named Marilou Danley.

The injured have been rushed to the Las Vegas Hospital for treatment, whilst the tourist-packed Vegas strip has been evacuated and blocked off.

The Australian Government’s travel advisory website warned Aussie travellers to avoid the area.