“Lewis” the koala badly burnt in NSW bushfire dies

A seriously injured koala who suffered horrific burns after he ran into burning bushland in NSW has sadly passed away.

The koala made headlines across the globe after heartwarming footage of him being rescued from bush near Port Macquarie by NSW grandmother Toni Doherty went viral online.

In the vision, the injured koala named “Lewis” after Ms Doherty’s grandchild, could be heard squealing in pain from burns he sustained in the ferocious fire.


After being wrapped up in Ms Doherty’s shirt, Lewis was taken to the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital where he has been receiving emergency treatment ever since.

Sadly, the hospital confirmed in a statement a short time ago that despite desperate efforts, Lewis could not be saved.

“Today we made the decision to put Ellenborough Lewis to sleep. We placed him under general anaesthesia this morning to assess his burns injuries and change the bandages,” the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital said.

“We recently posted that “burns injuries can get worse before they get better” and in Ellenborough Lewis’s case, the burns did get worse, and unfortunately would not have gotten better.

“The Koala Hospital’s number one goal is animal welfare, so it was on those grounds that this decision was made.

“We thank you for your ongoing support.”