HOUSEHOLDS all over the Gold Coast spent the morning flipping traditional pancakes in celebration of Shrove Tuesday.
Pancake Tuesday, as it is more commonly known, is a Christian celebration to mark the last day before lent.
Celebrity Chef Adrian Richardson said everyone can enjoy Pancake Day.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“For me, Pancake Day is about gathering friends and family in the kitchen to create tasty pancakes with a variety of sweet and savoury toppings to suit all taste buds. Of course, flipping them is the best part,” he said.
“All you need is four key ingredients – eggs, self-raising flour, milk and low-fat spread – and you’re on your way to pancake heaven.”
If you mised out on heating up the frypan and enjoying some pancakes this morning, why not whip up this delicious dessert tonight.
Serves: 4 or 10-12 crêpes
Preparation time: 10 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes
Crêpes – 2 eggs 2 egg yolks, 125g plain flour, 300ml milk, ½ tbsp castor sugar, oil spray, 250g hazelnut spread, 2/3 cup thickened cream whipped
Chocolate Sauce – ½ cup thickened cream, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 100g dark chocolate roughly chopped or broken into pieces
1. Place eggs, yolks, flour and milk in a bowl and using a whisk, mix to a smooth batter.
2. Heat a non-stick frying pan, and spray lightly with oil.
3. Pour in some batter and swirl the pan around to evenly and thinly cover the base. Cook until lightly browned before turning, then cook other side until lightly browned and cooked through. Set aside and repeat the process until all of the batter is used.
4. For the chocolate sauce, place cream and sugar into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
5. Add chocolate, then remove from heat and stir until smooth.
6. Place into a jug and set aside to cool
7. Place one crêpe onto a cake stand or plate, spread with hazelnut spread and whipped cream. Spread another crêpe with hazelnut spread and whipped cream, then place on top of the first crêpe and repeat this process until the last layer of crêpe.
8. Before serving, pour the chocolate sauce over the crêpes.
9. Serve with fresh strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.
Tip: Add 1 tbsp of hazelnut or coffee liquor to the chocolate sauce for that special indulgence.