Locals urged not use cheap USB devices after woman dies from electrocution

GOLD Coasters are being warned not to use cheap USB style chargers following the death of a woman in New South Wales.

The woman was found wearing headphones and holding a laptop with burns to her ears and chest in a suspected electrocution.

Fair Trading reportedly found USB devices at the scene that had no insulation on pins, or approval marks.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe told news.com.au that non compliant devices pose a serious risk of electrocution or fire.

“Our concern is that these USB chargers are implicated in this electrocution,” Mr Stowe said.

Gold Coasters with unapproved and noncompliant USB style chargers, normally used to charge phones and tablets, are urged to bend the pins on the chargers and dispose of them immediately.

Anyone with information about the purchase of any unapproved and noncompliant electrical or gas products should contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20.