Here’s a list that no suburb would want to be at the top of, but it’s been awarded to our northerly neighbour – Logan.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) have revealed that Logan is the major ‘hot spot’ of the south east region, with crews attending 23 house fire incidents there since the first of May.
That’s out of a total of 65 residential structure fires across the whole southeast during that period.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Suburbs of Ipswich, Beenleigh, Southport and Beaudesert also made a list of high-risk localities.
Logan Area Commander Geoff Townsley says winter is a very common time for house fires, with cooking equipment, heating systems and power boards listed as the top three causes.
“Due to the colder weather, people are spending a lot more time indoors, using appliances and heating equipment which can increase the chances of a fire starting.
“We often see a spike in house fires during the cooler months, so it is important to remain vigilant at home, particularly during winter, to ensure your home and family are prepared.”
“As we start to see the temperatures drop even further, it is very important to prepare.
“This includes checking appliances for fraying or exposed cords, taking care when using matches, lighters and candles, and making sure flammable materials aren’t placed too close to curtains or bedding,” Mr Townsley said.
Assistant Commissioner Kevin Walsh said another step families should take was to create and regularly practice a fire escape plan and practice it with kids.
Mr Walsh said there were several simple steps that people could take to protect their family, pets and property, including:
Check all electrical items are in a good condition and do not use if damaged.
Install an electrical safety switch and only use one appliance per power point.
Regularly clean your oven, stovetop, rangehood, clothes dryer and air-conditioner filters.
Store matches and lighters in a safe place and out of reach of children.
Turn off your electric blanket before going to sleep at night.
Do not use outdoor heating and cooking equipment inside your home.
For more information, click here.