Major works begin to repair Burleigh Head National Park

Major works are now underway at Burleigh Head National Park after it sustained serious damage during the torrential rain earlier this year.

The severe rainfall in February caused two landslips which saw tonnes of rocks, gravel and soil slide down the northeast ridge of the park, severely damaging the walking track below.

Scaling works got underway on Friday, with contractors beginning the painstaking task of removal of almost 30 boulders and other debris from the slope above the popular Oceanview Walking Track.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Some of the boulders are as big as two metres in width and weighing about three tonnes.

The Department of Environment and Sciences has said the boulders will have to will be split into smaller pieces and then rolled down the slope to the lower side of the walking track, which will be protected from further damage using rubber mats and sandbags.

Workers will then use earth-moving equipment to move the soil and gravel from the landslide and complete repairs to the damaged track surface and works to stabilise exposed areas of the embankment.

“No other tracks or facilities within Burleigh Head National Park will be affected by the works,” a DES statement said.

“The Rainforest Circuit will remain open and can be accessed by the usual Tallebudgera and Burleigh entrances.

“Visitors, including surfers accessing the water, are asked to follow the direction of rangers and contractors and stay away from the area for their own safety while works are underway due to the rolling boulders down the slope.”

It’s expected the works will be finished by the end of May, depending on the weather.