Man busted breaching home quarantine on the Gold Coast

A man has copped a $1,334 fine and been forced into hotel quarantine after he was caught breaching home quarantine on the Gold Coast.

The 36-year-old, who was ordered to undergo two weeks isolation after returning from interstate, admitted to leaving his Southport residence on several occasions.

According to police, the man was uncontactable and failed to respond to authorities, prompting officers to make follow-up enquiries.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“The man was not at his listed Southport residence when police conducted compliance checks on Tuesday, November 23,” police said.

He was finally tracked down on Wednesday and fined for failing to comply with the Public Health Direction and directed into hotel quarantine.

The incident has prompted authorities to issue a warning to travellers.

“People undertaking home quarantine must not leave their specified residence for the duration of their quarantine period and respond to phone calls and text messages as part of the home check-in program,” police said.

Officers have conducted more than 330 checks since the new home quarantine system went live last Monday with the “vast majority” of people fully compliant.

So far, more than 4,827 people from domestic hotspots have applied for home quarantine border passes into Queensland.