Man charged for concocting road rage shooting story

Police have arrested and charged a man after he falsely reported that he had been shot during a road rage incident earlier this week.

On Tuesday 3 November 2015, police were contacted by a 28-year-old man who claimed he had been shot in the finger following a road rage incident on Joseph Street, Regents Park.

The man claimed he was driving behind a black Audi sedan when it suddenly stopped, causing him to stop his car – a Lexus – directly behind it.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The man then told officers he became involved in an argument with two men that had been travelling in the Audi. One of the men pointed a firearm at the 28-year-old, who responded by trying to grab hold of the gun. The 28-year-old told officers that in the ensuing melee he sustained a gunshot wound to his finger.

Detectives from Flemington Local Area Command conducted inquiries into the matter and came to the conclusion that the 28-year-old had fabricated the story after injuring his finger himself.

Officers arrested the 28-year-old Regents Park man around midday yesterday Thursday 5 November 2015, before executing a search warrant at a house on Smith Street, Regents Park.

During the warrant, police located and seized:

– Two semi-automatic pistols;

– A hunting rifle;

– A revolver frame;

– Approximately 800 rounds of ammunition;

– A bowie knife; and,

– $11,500 in cash.

The 28-year-old man was taken to Auburn Police Station and charged with:

– Knowingly make a misleading statement;

– Possess a prohibited weapon without permit;

– Possess prohibited firearm;

– Possess a loaded firearm in a public place;

– Discharge firearm in a public place; and,

– Hinder police officer in the execution of duty.

He has been refused bail to appear before Burwood Local Court today (Friday 6 November 2015).

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments