Man charged over cold case murder

UPDATE @ August 22, 5.00 PM A man has appeared in court charged over the cold case murder of a Gold Coast woman 35 years ago.

51-year-old Troy James O’Meara was arrested this morning and fronted the Brisbane Magistrates Court this afternoon.

Police will allege the then 17-year-old abducted Linda Reed from Pacific Fair in 1983 before assaulting and killing her in a random attack.


He did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody.

O’Meara’s case has been adjourned for a committal mention on September 24.

EARLIER @ August 22, 1.35 PM: A MAN arrested over the suspicious disappearance of a woman on the Gold Coast 35 years ago has this afternoon been charged with her murder.

Linda Reed was just 21-years-old when she vanished from Pacific Fair shopping centre on December 13, 1983.

A 51-year-old man was arrested over the cold case early on Wednesday morning.

In a statement released a short time ago, Gold Coast police confirmed the man has now been charged with one count of murder.

He is due to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court later this afternoon.

Ms Reed’s body was found on Moolaroo Drive at Gaven Forest Estate three days after she disappeared.

EARLIER @ August 22, 10.00 AM : COLD case homicide detectives have today arrested a man for the murder of young Gold Coast woman Linda Reed.

The 21-year-old was last seen at her Pacific Fair Shopping Centre workplace on December 13, 1983.

Police say Ms Reed went on her lunch break but never returned.

Three days later, her body was found, along with her light coloured Mazda sedan, on Moolaroo Drive at Gaven Forest Estate.

Following ongoing investigations into the young woman’s tragic murder, a 51-year-old man was taken into custody this morning.

He’s expected to be charged with one count of murder and will appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court this afternoon.

“Today’s arrest highlights the commitment of the Homicide Cold Case Investigation Unit to resolve historical investigations such as this tragic murder” Homicide Detective Senior Sergeant Chris Knight said.

“Linda’s abduction and murder was completely random and had such a devastating impact on her family and the local community.

“I commend the work of the officers who were involved in this case from the outset and thank the detectives and forensic officers who worked so diligently to bring this case to a resolution.

“We thank the family for their support throughout the investigation and it is our privilege to bring them the answers they deserve after all this time.”