Man charged with murder after teen drowns in bathtub

A MAN has been charged with the murder of a teenager who was found drowned in a bathtub at a home in Sydney’s west five years ago.

Steven Copo-Horton was discovered unconscious in the bath at a house in Emerton about 1am on Sunday 28 October 2013.

NSW Ambulance paramedics performed CPR on the 18-year-old, however sadly he could not be revived and was pronounced deceased.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


An investigation into Mr Copo-Horton’s death has been ongoing ever since, and on Tuesday, detectives from the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Unit arrested a 44-year-old man in Merrylands.

He was taken to the local police station where he was charged with murder.

https://www.facebook.com/nswpoliceforce/photos/pcb.10156422481176185/10156422480621185/?type=3&theater

Officers also executed a search warrant at the man’s home, where they seized mobile phones, a laptop, a small quantity of prohibited drugs and two prohibited weapons.

Police will allege in court that the man deliberately drowned the teenager in the bathtub that night.

In a statement, the family of Mr Copo-Horton said it had been a long and difficult five years since his death.

“Stevie was so full of life; always happy and full of hugs and kisses,” the family said.

“Stevie touched the lives of so many people just by being him.”

The 44-year-old man is due to appear at Parramatta Local Court today.

Police say investigations under Strike Force Motox are continuing.