Man dies in sleep after using BBQ coals to heat up bedroom

A MAN has tragically died in his sleep from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to heat up his Sydney home using BBQ coals on Friday night.

The 29-year-old man was found dead in bed by his brother at a Greystanes home on Old Prospect Road at about 7.40pm.

After attempting to rouse his brother without success, the man and a friend conveyed the 29-year-old to Westmead Hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead.


Forensic specialists examined the body and attended the Greystanes home where they examined the deceased’s bedroom and found a frying pan full of BBQ coals, otherwise known as ‘heat-beads’, located next to the bed which were being fanned by an electric heater.

A post mortem examination will be conducted as investigators continue with their inquiries.

A report outlining the full circumstances surrounding the man’s death will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.