Man accused of alleged random Burleigh stabbing to remain behind bars

LATEST @ 1.00 PM | A man accused of randomly stabbing a surfer in Burleigh will remain behind bars after having his case adjourned in court.

Kieran James Alderton, 31, is accused of following his victim on public transport all the way from Broadbeach to Burleigh in the early hours of Monday morning, before attacking him in a toilet block along Goodwin Terrace.

The 43-year-old victim suffered wounds to his head and hands after allegedly being slashed with a knife and remains in the Gold Coast University Hospital.


His attacker front courted Southport Magistrates Court this morning charged with attempted murder.

He did not apply for bail, with his case adjourned to May 31.

EARLIER @ 7.30 AM | A man will appear in court today charged over a random stabbing attack on a surfer in Burleigh Heads.

The 43-year-old was allegedly attacked in a toilet block on Goodwin Terrace around 5.45am on Monday morning.

He suffered head and hand injuries and remains in the Gold Coast University Hospital.

The attack is believed to have been random, however, Police have revealed the alleged attacker had followed his victim all the way from Broadbeach where both had initially caught the same tram and then the same bus to Burleigh.

“The victim’s in his wetsuit carrying his surfboard and he just noticed this bloke on the tram and bus paying him undue attention, he was a little bit suspicious of him and when he got off the bus at Burleigh the bloke was following him,” Superintendent Geoff Sheldon has told the ABC.

“So he’s gone into the toilets and tried to basically lock himself in a cubicle just until this bloke when past, this bloke’s kicked the door in, started punching him, slashing him with a knife.

“This could have been really a death in the waiting if it wasn’t for the tremendous effort of a council cleaner and some members of the public who jumped in and this bloke ran away.”

Former rugby league player Sam Stewart was among the bystanders who followed the attacker as he fled towards the headland.

The man was later cornered outside an apartment block on Twenty Third Avenue in Palm Beach.

Police arrived a short time later and the man was taken into custody while officers seized a number of items including a knife.

The 31-year-old has since been charged with attempted murder.

He is due to front Southport Magistrates Court this morning.