Seven children have been rescued and a Queensland man jailed following a major investigation into an international child abuse ring.
The 68-year-old appeared in Brisbane’s District Court on Thursday, where he was sentenced to five years behind bars after being found guilty of a range of child abuse offences.
The man was arrested in February last year after ABF officers at Brisbane International Airport found child abuse images on his laptop, smart phone, and a USB drive.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Investigations revealed the man had sent money to people based in Thailand and the Philippines to facilitate the sexual abuse of children.
As a result, authorities in the Philippines executed a search warrant at Labason, Zamboanga del Norte, on the island of Mindanao in February this year.
Seven children, aged between 3 and 14, were rescued, and a woman, who remains before the courts, was arrested.
Intelligence from the arrest of the woman in the Philippines led authorities in the United Kingdom to investigate a UK national identified as allegedly also making payments to the same woman.
A search warrant was executed at Bracknell in the UK in September, where a number of devices were seized and a 51-year-old man arrested.
AFP Detective Superintendent Jayne Crossling said the operation invovled officers from Australian Federal Police, Australian Border Force, the National Crime Agency in the United Kingdom and Philippines National Police .
“The AFP is working around-the-clock with our international and domestic law enforcement partners to bring to justice those who seek to do harm to children,” she said.
“Advances in technology now mean it takes multiple law enforcement agencies working together to break networks that share this material and keep children safe.”