Man lucky to be alive after yet another horror high-speed crash in NSW

A YOUNG man on his P-plates is lucky to be alive tonight following yet another horror high-speed crash in NSW.

The man in his 20s was behind the wheel of a car which smashed into a tree at extreme speed in the coastal town of Mardi on the state’s Central Coast shortly before four o’clock on Saturday afternoon.

The impact was so great, the vehicle wrapped around the trunk of the tree and took it with it as it rolled down an embankment.


The young driver was trapped in the wreckage for some time before emergency crews were able to stabilise the vehicle and cut him free.

PHOTO: Courtesy CareFlight NSW

A fleet of emergency service vehicles responded to the crash, fearing the worst for the driver trapped inside.

CareFlight’s rapid response rescue helicopter was also dispatched to the scene and landed in a paddock nearby.

Miraculously, though, the young driver survived the high-speed impact and suffered minor abrasions and non-life-threatening injuries to his face, chest, and abdomen.

PHOTO: Courtesy CareFlight NSW

CareFlight’s specialist doctor and intensive care paramedic helped ambulance officers treat the man at the scene before airlifting him to Westmead Hospital.

A CareFlight spokesperson said the 20-year-old man was lucky to escape serious injury.

He was flown to hospital in a stable condition.

PHOTO: Courtesy CareFlight NSW

The high-speed accident came a little over 12 hours after three people were killed in a catastrophic crash in Sydney’s CBD early on Saturday morning.

It was around 3am when a high-performance Nissan GTR smashed into an overpass barrier in the heart of the city and flipped through the air before bursting into flames.

Despite the best efforts of police to save all four occupants, only one could be removed from the burning car alive.

“These, unfortunately, are extreme cases that illustrate that excessive speeds and the manner of driving in built-up areas and any road in NSW can lead to catastrophic consequences,” Superintendent Paul Pisanos said.