UPDATE: AN elderly man reported missing in bushfires overnight has been found safe and well.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said he had been told the man was found safe after becoming “disconnected from his family”.
Fire crews said it was not unusual for families to lose contact with relatives in a fire of this size.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Despite a cool change, the blaze grew in size overnight to more than 3,000 hectares with 200 firefighters battling to protect about 250 homes are in the affected fire area, with 12 at immediate risk.
EARLIER: AN elderly man is missing as a massive, fast-moving bushire continues to threaten more home in central Victoria.
According to Victoria Police, the missing Benloch man is aged in his 80’s and has been “disconnected from his family”.
Hundreds of people were evacuated last night as the out of control 3000 hectare blaze destroyed at least one home and several outbuildings
An emergency warning has been issued for Benloch, Pastoria East and Baynton East.
“You are in danger, act now to protect yourself. It is too late to leave. The safest option is to take shelter indoors immediately,” residents were told on Wednesday morning.
Major roads in the area were closed yesterday and won’t be reopened until an assessment has been conducted.
While lower temperatures are on the way for the region, strong winds of 40-60km/h are hampering efforts by firefighters.
More than 200 firefighters worked overnight, but there could be more than 400 on the scene later this morning.