A YOUNG man has been seriously injured in an explosion at a licensed club near Newcastle.
Emergency services were called to a bowling club on Memorial Drive at Bar Beach just after 8pm last night.
Police have been told an employee was attempting to change an apparatus on a keg in a cool room when an explosion occurred.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The 23-year-old local man suffered serious injuries to his arm and chest and was rushed to John Hunter Hospital by ambulance.
The club was closed for the rest of the night and a crime scene was established.
WorkCover is investigating.