Man shot dead during Highland Park robbery

SHOOTING - Josh Adsett

Armed robber reportedly shot dead during botched robbery of Highland Park Tavern. IMAGE: Josh Adsett (7News) SOURCE: Twitter

UPDATE: Investigations into Monday morning’s attempted armed robbery and shooting at Highland Park are continuing.

A man armed with a handgun who allegedly ambushed a security vehicle delivering cash to the Highland Park Tavern around 7.40am was shot dead by a 47-year-old guard from Border Security.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Hayley Webb from Nine Gold Coast News reports the offender, believed to be a 46-year-old husband and father of five from Upper Coomera, was a former employee of the security company.

Bianca Stone from Channel Seven reports the offender was armed with a replica pistol.

A Police Operations Centre has been established at Coomera Police Station, while detectives, uniformed and intelligence officers, as well as scientific and scenes of crimes officers continue their investigations.

A vehicle, believed to have been used by the offender, was located in a nearby street around midday – around 500m from the scene – and has been seized for forensic analysis.

Alexander Drive, between Cozens Street to Explorers Way, has re-opened.

Police continue to appeal for witnesses to the incident to contact them, or if members of the public noticed anyone acting suspiciously in the area at the time to call Crime Stoppers.

EARLIER: POLICE have found the car used by the alleged gunman in this morning’s fatal shooting.

The small blue hatchback was located parked around the corner from the incident, very close to a dirt track which leads to the tavern complex.

Scientific officers have been called in to examine the vehicle.

Police say they have a preliminary idea on the identity of the offender, but want everything confirmed before details are released.

Carrie Greenbank from Nine News reports the offender was a 46-year-old man from Coomera.

CAR - Shooting

Police find the car used by the alleged gunman in this morning’s bungled robbery. IMAGE: Carrie Greenbank (9News) SOURCE: Twitter

FIRST: A GUNMAN has been shot dead by security during a bungled armed robbery on the Gold Coast this morning.

Scores of police surrounded the Highland Park Tavern on Alexander Drive with their guns drawn shortly before 8am on Monday after initial reports suggested a man had been shot during an armed hold up.

Police said a guard from Border Security was ambushed by a man armed with a 9mm pistol while delivering cash to the tavern.

It’s alleged the guard was tackled and pushed up against the van by the offender before a fight ensued and a number of shots were fired by the security guard.

The alleged offender, who was wearing a motorbike helmet, sustained a number of life-threatening gunshot wounds and died at the scene.

Superintendent David Hutchinson said, at this stage, it was too early to determine whether the offender’s firearm had been discharged.

“The scene is still being examined, we are aware that he (the offender) has sustained gunshot wounds – but I don’t want to put a number to it until he is properly examined and a post-mortem is conducted,” he said.

“The offender’s firearm is still in situ (in its original place), so until our scientific people can get in there and complete their examination, we wont know for sure whether the (offender’s) firearm has been discharged.”

The security guard received minor facial injuries as a result of the struggle and is currently assisting police with their investigations.

SHOOTING - TOM FORBES

IMAGE: Tom Forbes (ABC News) SOURCE: Twitter

Police are canvasing and reviewing CCTV footage from nearby businesses that may have captured the shooting.

A large section of Alexander Drive was initially locked-down, including William Duncan State School and a nearby child care centre, as police searched the area for other possible offenders.

“Just as a precaution, we have police patrolling and door knocking the areas to try and determine if there is any other offenders,” Superintendent Hutchinson said.

“There is no evidence at this stage to say there was, but we are just working on the safe side and checking the area.”

Eastbound lanes have reopened, but Alexander Drive westbound between Cozens Way & Explorers Way remains closed as investigators thoroughly examine the scene.

As a result, Translink advised route 736, 739 and 744 buses are being diverted around the area.

Police investigations are ongoing and there is no further information available at this stage.

Members of the public who may have seen anyone acting suspiciously in the area at the time are urged to contact Crime Stoppers.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments