A MAN who was shot in the lower back during an apparent home invasion on the Gold Coast was expected to undergo surgery to remove the bullet on Monday afternoon.
A 35-year-old man drove himself to a hospital at Robina with a non life threatening gunshot wound to his buttocks around 4.35am on Monday.
He told police earlier that morning three men armed with shotguns and a pistol stormed into his Saraji Court home and assaulted him, shooting him in the backside.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The three man, whose faces were obscured with balaclavas, fled the residence.
A crime scene was established at the house and police combing the property for evidence located a bullet casing inside.
A green sedan was towed from the scene while a black Holden utility believed to be involved in the getaway was located in Southport.
Officers are investigating if the offenders are known to the victim.
Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Procter, who briefed reporters at a press conference on Monday afternoon, said it was likely the victim would require surgery to remove the bullet from his lower back.
“We have no direct links at this stage … we believe it would have been planned by the attackers,” Det Sen-Sgt Proctor said.
“We’ve got a team of detectives working on this today. It’s obviously a serious matter when someone gets shot.”
Anyone in the area between 1.30-2am who might have seen anything is urged to contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.