A MAN has been airlifted to hospital in an “extremely critical condition” after suffering horrific burns while allegedly trying to set fire to a golf course in NSW.
Emergency services were called to reports of a fire at the Eden Gardens Country Club on the Princes Highway at Eden, on the state’s South Coast, around 9.30am on Friday.
Police said firefighters extinguished the blaze and found a 62-year-old man clinging to life in a creek nearby.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The man was reportedly found with serious head injuries and life-threatening burns to much of his body.
He was taken to the South East Regional Hospital near Bega before being airlifted to the specialist burns unit at Sydney’s Concord Hospital in an “extremely critical condition”.
It’s understood the man was at first unable to be identified due to the extent of his injuries.
A Southern NSW Local Health District spokeswoman said the man’s injuries were “some of the worst” doctors at the South East Regional Hospital had ever seen.
While investigations into the incident are continuing, it is believed the man may have accidentally set himself alight while trying to set fire to the golf course.
According to local media, the man is believed to have created multiple ignition points on the ground of the fairway.
“What appears to be the case is that in the process of lighting that fire is that he has caught on fire,” CEO of the Eden Golf Course Andrew Terry told the Eden Magnet.
Detectives from the South Coast Police District established a crime scene and are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Investigators are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
Police would particularly like to speak with anyone who saw the man at the country club on Friday morning.
You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via nsw.crimestoppers.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.