Man suffers serious burns in ‘cockroach bomb’ explosion

A man has been rushed to hospital after suffering serious burns in an explosion, believed to have been sparked by a cockroach bomb.

Emergency crews raced to an apartment in West Ryde around 8.45am this morning after reports of a large explosion.

On arrival, they found the windows of a ground-floor unit completely blown out and a man, believed to be aged in his 30s, with burns to his body.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


He has since been taken to hospital for treatment.

Speaking to Nine News, NSW Fire and Rescue Superintendent Ian Krimmer said the explosion is believed to have been caused by a cockroach bomb and a hot water tank.

The incident is a timely reminder for residents to remain extremely vigilant when activating these types of highly flammable propellants.

WATCH: