LATEST @ 1.45 PM | Two men have suffered serious electric shocks after a concrete pump struck an overhead powerline on a worksite in Surfers Paradise.
The horror accident happened at a construction site along The Corso around midday on Thursday.
Queensland Ambulance Operations Supervisor David Morgan said one of the men sustained serious electrical burns after the current travelled through his hand, down his spine and out his right big toe.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The shock also caused him to fall around three metres from scaffolding.
He was treated at the scene by paramedics before being rushed to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
The second man, aged 22, was working underneath the scaffolding and also experienced a “surge of electrical current” through his body.
“He was complaining of minor injuries in the form of ultra sensation and pins and needles in his left arm,” Mr Morgan said.
He’s been taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.
More than 1800 homes and businesses are currently without power in Surfers Paradise as a result of the incident.
Energex crews are on scene working to restore power as soon as possible.
EARLIER @ 12.45 PM | A man has suffered significant burns in a horror accident at a worksite in Surfers Paradise this afternoon.
Emergency crews were called to a worksite along the Corso around midday following reports two men had been injured after suffering an electric shock.
A Queensland Ambulance spokesperson told myGC one man, aged in his 20s, suffered burns after equipment came into contact with a powerline.
He then suffered an electric shock, which caused him to fall around three metres.
The man is currently being treated by paramedics for serious burns, however, his condition is not known at this stage.
A second man, aged in his 20s, also suffered an electric shock in the incident but is stable.
More to come.