Witnesses sought after horror high-speed crash at Coomera

Crash - Jeremy Broad - 728x350

PICTURE: Jeremy Broad SOURCE: Supplied

UPDATE: A YOUNG man who had to be cut free from his wrecked car after it slammed side-on into a pole at high-speed at Coomera yesterday has been left with multiple serious injuries.

The 22-year-old man, named as Christopher, remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Gold Coast University Hospital after he lost control of his car along Foxwell Rd, mounted a median strip and crashed into a light pole around 4.30pm on Tuesday.


His mother, Sharon Cutler said it was a miracle her son survived, claiming he was run off the road by a second car which fled the scene.

There was another car and the police will find the person who fled the scene after running him of the road,” she said.

As a result of the impact, Chris suffered several facial fractures, a deep laceration above his eye, a broken elbow, and a severely broken pelvis and sacrum which will require surgery.

He’s also been left with a damaged kidney, spleen and liver.

Police are pleading with anyone who may have witnessed the crash to come forward.

EARLIER: A YOUNG man is lucky to be alive following a horror high-speed crash at Coomera on Tuesday afternoon.

The single vehicle accident occurred near the intersection of Foxwell Road and Finnegan Way around 4.30pm.

The white and black vehicle, reported to be similar to a Nissan Silvia, slammed side-on into a pole in the centre median at high-speed – the driver taking the full impact.

Smash - Coomera

PICTURE: Allan Yost SOURCE: Supplied

There are unconfirmed reports that the car may have been involved in a street race at the time it lost control.

A witness who was following the vehicle at the time of the crash said the car appeared to have been travelling with two others.

“They were racing out on the highway, then all stopped at the lights near the Tafe and took off,” the witness said.

Crash - Jeremy Broad - 1 - 728x350

PICTURE: Jeremy Broad SOURCE: Supplied

“Within about 70-100m from the lights, he had enough speed to mount the large curb and still hit the light with that much force.

“He stayed around for about 45 minutes and they still didn’t have him free.”

More than a dozen emergency personnel worked tirelessly for more than an hour to cut the man from the wreckage in front of horrified passing motorists.

Crash - Jeremy Broad - 2 - 728x350

PICTURE: Jeremy Broad SOURCE: Supplied

Rescue crews had to cut the roof off the car to get access to the man.

After he was finally freed, he was rushed to hospital in a serious condition. His injuries were unknown.

Sources close to the man’s family have tonight confirmed he is recovering in hospital with serious injuries and in time, is expected to make a full recovery.