IT’S been confirmed former Brisbane Broncos foundation player and 13-year professional coach Terry Matterson will reunite with iSelect Titans head coach Neil Henry on the Gold Coast next season as assistant coach.
Matterson, 47, has spent three seasons at the North Queensland Cowboys as assistant coach, the first two under Henry after six years as head coach of Castleford in the English Super league.
Henry said he was looking forward to working with Matterson once again.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“I’m looking forward to working with Terry again; he has had a wide depth of experience as a player and a coach and has a lot to offer the Titans,” Henry said.
“He has had an extensive record in Australia and England and a great understanding of the game and he’ll be a real asset to us.”
Matterson first coached in the NRL with the Canberra Raiders as assistant to Matthew Elliott from 2002-05.
With limited resources he took Castleford to the finals for the first time in seven years before returning to Australia to join the Cowboys.
In 2013, he coached the USA Tomahawks to an unpredicted quarter finals finish in the World Cup in England.
As a classy goalkicking lock, he played 240 first grade games over 13 seasons in Australia and England and was a foundation Brisbane Broncos player in 1988.
Matterson’s coaching history:
- Assistant coach, NQ Cowboys 2012-14
- Head coach, Castleford Tigers 2006-11
- Assistant coach, Canberra Raiders 2002-05
- CEO and head coach, Norths Brisbane 2001-02
- Head coach, Toowoomba Clydesdales 2000
- Skills coach, Brisbane Broncos 1999
Matterson’s playing career:
- London Broncos, 1995-98
- Brisbane Broncos, 1988-95 (grand final winners 1992-93)
- Man of the match, World Club Challenge v Wigan 1992
- NSW State of Origin 1989 (1 game)
- Eastern Suburbs (Sydney) Roosters, 1985-87