UPDATE @ May 12 | Queensland Health has brought in new restrictions for those flying in from Melbourne and are asking Queenslanders to reconsider travel to Victoria.
It comes after a man in his 30s tested positive despite completing hotel quarantine.
Authorities down south are now rapidly trying to contact trace, confirming that the man had visited a number of locations in Melbourne’s north while infectious.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
From 1.00 am tomorrow, anyone who arrives in Queensland and has been to one of the exposure sites will have to enter hotel quarantine for 14 days.
For those who arrive before that deadline and had been to an exposure site, they’re being asked to travel via private transport to their home or accommodation and self-quarantine for 14 days.
“If you have recently returned from VIC or SA and not visited any listed exposure venues during the risk period, get tested if you have any COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, and isolate until you get the results and your symptoms resolve,” Qld Health also said in it’s latest update.
“We are asking all Queensland to continue to monitor the list of interstate exposure venues for 14 days after you arrive to ensure no new venues have been added. You can find the list of venues on the Queensland Health website “
“We are also asking all Queenslanders to reconsider travel to Victoria,” their latest update reads.
EARLIER @ May 11 | There’s been another Covid-19 scare in Melbourne, with a returned overseas travelled who had completed hotel quarantine testing positive today.
The man in his 30s underwent two weeks of quarantine in South Australia, before returning to his home in Wollert, in Melbourne’s north, on May 4.
Victorian health officials say he started to show symptoms of the virus on May 8, before getting tested on May 10 and returning the positive result on May 11.
Further testing is currently underway to confirm the diagnosis, reports Victoria Health, but for now, they’re treating the results as positive.
“The individual is being interviewed and exposure sites and being verified. They will be published when they are confirmed,” a statement from Vic Health reads.
“The individual who was tested positive is isolating at home. His household primary close contacts are also isolating, being interviewed, and will be urgently tested.”
Until then, health officials are asking anyone with even the slightest of symptoms to get tested.
The man underwent hotel quarantine at the Playford Hotel in Adelaide, with South Australian authorities now also investigating what might have happened.
They’re looking into ‘multiple hypotheses’, including that he may have been exposed on the same hotel floor to another guest.
So far, health authorities in South Australia believe that the man hasn’t been in the community while infectious, but they will continue to investigate and work with Victorian authorities to clarify that further.
“From our perspective here in South Australia at this point in time, I don’t think there’s any risk of community transmission,” Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said in an update this afternoon.
“Obviously we don’t want to have community transmission in Victoria either, so we’ll be working very quickly together to make sure that this little outbreak is contained.”