Melbourne travellers in Qld told to isolate after quarantine hotel COVID case

ANYONE in Queensland who has been in Greater Melbourne in the last week could be forced to isolate after a Melbourne hotel quarantine worker tested positive to COVID-19.

Victorian Health authorities confirmed late on Wednesday a man, who worked as a resident support officer in Melbourne’s Grand Hyatt Hotel, had tested positive.

Queensland Acting Premier Steven Miles confirmed on Thursday morning anyone who has been in Greater Melbourne since the 29th of January, which is the first day the man is thought to have been infectious in the community, should check the Victoria Health website for lists of possible exposure sites.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Anyone in Queensland now who has visited those 14 specific sites is being urged to isolate and get tested. That advice is similar to what has been issued by Victoria Health.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has confirmed Melbourne will not be declared a hotspot at this stage but Queenslanders are being urged to reconsider travel to Victoria.

Queensland’s Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said officials were monitoring the situation.

“I am not advising that we need to, at this stage, close the border,” Dr Young said.

“I think we can manage it and see how this works through, and Victoria has also done a risk assessment and they have not put a lockdown on their community in Greater Melbourne at this stage.

“So we need to see what transpires over the next 24 to 48 hours.

“But I do strongly advise that people in Queensland reconsider their need to travel to Greater Melbourne at this time.

“If they don’t need to travel, or if there isn’t urgency, they should delay their travel until all of this is worked through because if things do deteriorate in Victoria, which I’m very hopeful they won’t but if they do deteriorate, they may be caught and have to then quarantine when they return home to Queensland.

“So, at this stage, it’s a watching brief, as we’ve done so many times before.”

Victorian Health authorities confirmed on Thursday two family contacts of the infected Melbourne man have tested negative to coronavirus.

They have also spoken to 19 of 20 close contacts.

“Early stages, but that is positive news,” Premier Daniel Andrews said.

The Premier also added there had been no breach of hotel quarantine protocols, describing the man as a “model employee”.

However, Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng said “it’s not rocket science” that the man caught the virus from a positive case in hotel quarantine.

Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
oldest
newest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Watching watching and then you will shut the gate AGAIN!