Michael Shelley wins Marathon gold in dramatic fashion

“It’s quite special. I’m a born and bred Gold Coaster. I was born in the old Southport Hospital. I live here and train here all the time.”

Gold Coast athlete Michael Shelley has defended his Commonwealth Games title from Glasgow, winning gold in a drama-filled test of endurance on Sunday morning.

He crossed the finish line at the Broadwater Parklands, with a time of 2:16.46, after overtaking Scotsman Callum Hawkins, who collapsed with exhaustion on Sundale Bridge at the 40km mark.


“I wasn’t sure what was going on,” Shelley explained after the race.

“I saw (Callum) on the Sundale Bridge and thought ‘Oh shit’ and just tried to hang on. When I was coming down the home straight I tried to accelerate but I was just gone.

“I thought hopefully I can get to the finish line because I was starting to get cramps in my hands.”

Uganda’s Munyo Solomon Mutai took silver with a time of 2:19.02, and Scotland’s Robbie Simpson claimed bronze with 2:19.36.

Aussie Liam Adams finished in fifth place with a time of 2:21:08.

Prior to the men’s race, Helalia Johannes became the first Namibian woman to win a Commonwealth Games gold medal, when she took out the women’s marathon.

The 37-year-old crossed the finish in 2:32:40, followed by Australian pairing of Lisa Weightman and Jess Trengove.

UPDATE: Team Scotland has advised that there are no major concerns for the wellbeing of Callum Hawkins at this stage.

GOLDOC CEO Mark Peters confirmed Hawkins had received treatment at Gold Coast University Hospital and was expected to recover.

“I like many others was distressed to see a wonderful athlete like Callum collapse during the closing stages of today’s Marathon,” Mr Peters said.

“We are offering every assistance possible to Callum and Team Scotland.”

“I was also concerned about the behaviour of a small number of bystanders who chose to take images. This is not in keeping with the spirit of GC2018,” he said.

GOLDOC can confirm that during the race, medical staff were posted at 500metre intervals in the final kilometres of the course all of which had radio communications.

Once an athlete receives medical attention they must forfeit the race, and therefore it is up to the individual if they are treated.