Mind your gas this Easter long weekend

WITH EASTER fast approaching, those packing up the caravan to enjoy the long weekend are being urged to play it safe when it comes to using gas.

Campers who are dusting off stored gas bottles, or anyone rolling out the barbecue over the break are being warned to remain vigilant.

“In the wake of a barbeque gas bottle explosion that injured a Brisbane teenager earlier this week it is timely to remind everyone that liquefied petroleum gas and butane appliances are dangerous if stored, transported, or used incorrectly,” Energy Minister Dr Anthony Lynham said during a press conference at the Broadwater Tourist Park.


“While the incident this week happened at home, campers need to be even more vigilant when it comes to gas safety as equipment and gear can become damaged while it’s collecting dust in the shed,” Dr Lynham added.

It is advised that people check the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) website to see if their gas product has been recalled.

Since last Easter, more than 10,000 butane cookers have been recalled nationally by the ACCC.

“Our inspectors investigate roughly 100 dodgy gas installs each year, and since introducing infringement notices in 2016 we’ve given out more than $55,000 in fines to business and individuals for unlicensed gas work and unapproved gas appliances,” he said.

“Don’t risk it—get a gas fitter to do the job, check your appliances for damage, and look at the manufacturer’s instructions.”

Other gas safety tips:
• Look for any damage or faults in your gas hose and fittings – fading, fraying, cracking or splitting fittings and hoses or missing ‘O’ ring seals.
• Check the test date on liquefied petroleum gas cylinders and look for any signs of damage on the cylinders or valves such as corrosion and damaged or clogged connectors.
• Empty the grease tray on your BBQ as overfilled drip trays can become highly flammable.
• Turn off your appliances off at the gas bottle first.
• Ensure your gas bottles are stored outside in a well-ventilated space, standing upright and away from an ignition source.
• Spray or sponge soapy water onto connections to check for bubbles to ensure there are no leaks.
• Only operate portable gas appliances outside, not inside a house or confined space where lethal carbon monoxide gas can build up.
• Gas bottles must be transported safely. Secure them while travelling and ensure a plug is fitted in the valve outlet and tightened to prevent gas escape if the valve handle is knocked during transport. Rules for transporting gas bottles inside a vehicle can be found here and for on the outside of a vehicle here.