More NSW residents will be able to receive a $500 cash boost, following changes to the emergency COVID-19 disaster payment.
The Federal Government announced last month that Australian workers affected by snap lockdowns that last more than seven days would be eligible for a $325 and $500 payment.
However, residents had to prove they had less than $10,000 in liquid assets in order to be eligible.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Addressing the country on Thursday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed that requirement would now be waived for people in states entering a third week of lockdown.
“It doesn’t matter what funds you’ve got available to you in your bank account or what you can readily convert to cash,” he said.
Mr Morrison said the COVID-19 crisis in Sydney has escalated in recent days, and has pleaded for residents to abide by the rules.
The Prime Minister warned that the COVID-19 outbreak doesn’t just have implications for Sydney.