ALMOST 900 drivers have been busted using their mobile phones and a further 195 have been fined for not keeping left during a 24-hour statewide police blitz in New South Wales.
Police hit the road in force as part of Operation Compliance 2 on Wednesday, targeting high-risk drivers and their dangerous behaviour.
The one-day operation saw officers issue 1,797 infringement notices, including 897 for mobile phone use, 195 for not keeping left and 705 for defective vehicles.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The Central Metropolitan Region had the worst result of the day, with 465 infringements issued.
A further 66 infringements were issued by officers attached to the Traffic & Highway Patrol Command.
Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy, Commander of the state’s Traffic & Highway Patrol Command said those drivers putting others at risk were the focus of yesterday’s operation.
“It is those drivers not keeping left which impede oncoming traffic, which creates a crash risk.” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.
“We know those drivers using the phone are the ones that continue to put themselves, their passengers, and other road users at great risk, as they are not concentrating on that important driving task, with their attention drawn to either a conversation, text, or otherwise.
“Defective vehicles with such issues as faulty brakes, inoperable lights, bald tyres, will present significant risks when having to take evasive action to avoid a crash.
“Sadly, with the loss of another life overnight of a motorcycle rider on the Central Coast, the risks on our roads should be all too apparent to drivers, riders, cyclists, and pedestrians alike.”
“With 182 lives lost so far this year, being 6 down on this time last year, we want drivers to be fully accountable for their actions on our roads, and not take such risks.” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.