Mother fronts court after baby overdoses on crystal meth found in family home

THE mother of a 21-month-old boy who almost died after overdosing on crystal meth found in the family home has pleaded not guilty to child neglect charges.

The 27-year-old woman from the NSW Illawarra region appeared in Port Kembla Local Court on Wednesday, charged with five counts of drug possession and one count of exposing a child under seven to cause danger of death.

It’s alleged the woman’s 21-month-old son had discovered a stash of the drug ice in her room and, according to medical experts, consumed enough to likely cause “serious injury or death”.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It’s understood the child had been left in the room to sleep when he discovered the ice and ate it.

According to the Illawarra Mercury, the woman called triple zero for an ambulance after she walked into her bedroom and found her toddler son convulsing.

He was rushed to Wollongong Hospital where tests revealed he had a lethal amount of methamphetamine in his system. Miraculously, the boy survived.

Hospital staff alerted police who, following a protracted eight-month long investigation, arrested the boy’s mother in August.

The toddler was removed from the woman’s care and placed in the care of the Department of Families and Community Services where he remains.

The 27-year-woman fronted court on Wednesday where she pleaded not guilty to exposing her child to danger of death and possessing a host of drugs, including the ice at the centre of the alleged overdose, however, admitted to possessing cannabis.

The case was adjourned to 9 November.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments