UPDATE at 10:45 AM | POLICE are warning of ‘significant congestion’ in Main Beach with plenty of roads closed in the area due to the 41st Gold Coast Marathon.
Motorists are being urged to avoid unnecessary travel in the area. Translink advises trams are also experiencing delays due to heavy passenger loading.
All roads are expected to be re-opened by 2.30pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Significant congestion occurring north and south to Main Beach on the Gold Coast due to @GCMarathon pls avoid unnecessary travel. #qldtraffic #bne traffic https://t.co/V9zqxPdVpH pic.twitter.com/2Ke3JL7Hzs
— Queensland Police (@QldPolice) July 7, 2019
FIRST at 7:20 AM | GOLD COAST motorists are being reminded plenty of roads are closed across the city for the 41st Gold Coast Marathon.
Thousands of keen runners are pounding the pavement for the marathon and half marathon with the wheelchair races are also taking place on Sunday
All events start and finish at the Broadwater Parklands. The course for the marathon extends right down to include the Esplanade at Burleigh Heads.
Police have been working with the relevant stakeholders to ensure the marathon and associated events are conducted safely and with minimum disruption to traffic.
Motorists are urged to avoid travelling anywhere along the route due to diversions that will be in place. Delays can be expected and motorists need to keep an eye out for competitors and fun runners.
Extra tram services are running today but Translink advises there are some delays this morning thanks to the large number of passengers.
ROAD CLOSURES SUNDAY July 7, 2019 from 4am to 2pm:
Full road closure of the Sundale Bridge, Southport from 0700hrs to 0730hrs as required under the direction of Police.
Partial road closure of the following Northern roads:
• Gold Coast Highway, Southport from Ada Bell Way including Sundale Bridge southbound to intersection of Waterways Drive, Main Beach (Northbound lanes will be two way.)
• Gold Coast Highway, Mermaid Beach from Mermaid Avenue southbound to Seashell Avenue (southbound lanes only to be affected they will be down to one lane)
Full road closure of the following roads:
• The Esplanade Paradise Point from Donald Avenue to Falkinder Avenue Paradise Point
• Bayview Street from Falkinder Ave Paradise Point to Lands End Bridge, Anglers Paradise
• Lae Drive from Bayview Street to Morala Avenue, Runaway Bay
• Marine Parade from Lands End Bridge Biggera Waters to Brisbane Road, Biggera Waters
• Gold Coast Hwy from Brisbane Road, Biggera Waters to Broad Street, Labrador
• Frank Street from Broad Street, Labrador to Loders Creek Bridge, Labrador
• Gold Coast Highway from Loders Creek Bridge, Labrador to Ada Bell Way, Southport
• Waterways Drive from Gold Coast Hwy to Seaworld Drive, Main Beach
• Macarthur Parade, from Seaworld Drive to Main Beach Parade, Main Beach
• Main Beach Parade from Macarthur Parade to The Esplanade, Surfers Paradise
• The Esplanade from Main Beach Parade, to Clifford Street, Surfers Paradise
• Northcliffe Terrace from Clifford Street to Thornton Street, Surfers Paradise
• Garfield Terrace from Thornton Street to Fern Street, Surfers Paradise
• Fern Street between Garfield Terrace, Surfers Paradise and Old Burleigh Road Surfers Paradise
• Old Burleigh Road from Fern Street to Armrick Avenue, Broadbeach
• Broadbeach Boulevard, from Armrick Avenue to Queensland Avenue, Broadbeach
• Old Burleigh Road from Queensland Avenue to Alexandra Avenue, Broadbeach
• Hedges Avenue from Alexandra Avenue to Seashell Avenue, Mermaid Beach
• Albatross Avenue from Seashell Avenue to Chairlift Avenue, Nobby Beach
• Marine Parade, from Chairlift Avenue to Hythe Street, Miami.
• Hythe Street, from Marine Parade to Gold Coast Highway
• Kelly Avenue from Gold Coast Highway to The Esplanade, Miami
• The Esplanade, from Kelly Avenue to First Avenue, Miami
• Kratzmann Avenue, from The Esplanade to Gold Coast Highway, Miami
Partial road closure of the following Southern roads:
• Gold Coast Highway, Miami between Hythe Street and Kratzmann Avenue (Northbound lanes will be two way)
• Gold Coast Highway, Broadbeach between Pacific Fair Dve and Seashell Ave( Southbound reduced to one lane)