Opera Australia is giving talented Gold Coast secondary school students the opportunity to experience life as an opera singer through the 2018 Regional Student Scholarship program.
Ten Gold Coast secondary school students will have the opportunity to audition individually for Opera Australia’s Chorus Master for their chance to be selected for one of the four highly sought-after scholarships – which include a visit to Opera Australia’s headquarters in Sydney in January 2018 for a week of opera masterclasses and performances and the chance to experience the inner workings of Australia’s national opera company. At the end of the week, students have the opportunity to sing for Opera Australia’s Artistic Director, Lyndon Terracini.
“The Regional Student Scholarship program is a really exciting initiative of Opera Australia. It’s so incredibly important for us to nurture and support these talented individuals in regional areas who may be considering a career in opera but feel the opportunities are a world away
in the big city. We need to encourage those dreams and provide practical help on their journey into the music industry,” said Mr Terracini.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Launched in 2014, the Regional Student Scholarship expands Opera Australia’s regional tour community engagement activities, which also includes the Regional Children’s Chorus.
Younger Gold Coast vocalists are currently rehearsing and will form a Children’s Chorus when Opera Australia arrives in town on July 20 to perform The Marriage of Figaro at The Arts Centre Gold Coast, as part of their 2017 Regional Tour.
The Arts Centre Gold Coast’s Programming Director Brad Rush said he was excited to bring Opera Australia to the region.
“The commitment to the development of arts practice on the Gold Coast is a key driver of the organisation. We value the relationships forged with some of our signature state and national companies, and are thrilled to broker this on behalf of our young local residents,” said Mr Rush.
To apply for a scholarship audition, local students need to submit an application at opera.org.au/regional-student-scholarship-application
The four successful applicants will be announced in late October.
The 2018 scholarship prize includes:
- Return air travel and accommodation in Sydney
- Music, acting and movement workshops with industry leaders
- Vocal coaching with Opera Australia’s experienced coaches and repetiteurs
- Tickets to see an Opera Australia performance at the Sydney Opera House
- An exclusive behind the scenes tour of The Opera Centre Sydney (where all the magic happens!) and the iconic Sydney Opera House
- The chance to perform an aria for Opera Australia’s Artistic Director, Lyndon
- Terracini, at the end of their week’s scholarship
- Support from the Opera Australia team whilst they are in Sydney
- Monday 17 July 2017 20:00 to 21:30
- Tuesday 18 July 2017 20:00 to 21:30
- The Arts Centre Gold Coast