No COVID-19 cases in Qld, businesses still unsure about reopening plans

QUEENSLAND has recorded no new cases of COVID-19 despite concerns about two recent scares in the state.

It comes after a number of exposure sites have been listed around the Cairns area after a 21-year-old woman visited the area while infectious before travelling on to the Northern Territory. However, there have been no new cases identified as a result of that.

While in Toowoomba, a person who had been identified as a close contact of a case in Goondiwindi and visited Toowoomba Hospital has returned a negative test.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


There are still 13 active COVID-19 cases across the state.

Queensland’s first dose vaccination rate is expected to hit the 80 per cent mark in the coming days as it currently sits on 79.49 per cent. 67.14 per cent of eligible Queenslanders are now fully vaccinated.

“The numbers are getting up there but we want to see those numbers creeping up even quicker,” Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said.

“And that is really up to you Queensland, make sure you’re coming out and getting vaccinated.”

The Health Minister has also addressed concerns from business leaders who have been calling for clarity about restrictions when the borders reopen.

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland said businesses were worried about the uncertainty surrounding vaccination mandates, vaccination checks and what rules they may face if exposed to COVID-19.

RELATED | Qlders demand plans and answers ahead of border reopening

Ms D’Ath said the government would continue to consult with businesses about what things could look like from December 17.

“The comments about the economy, we have really led the way when it comes to our recovery out of Covid because of the measures we’ve taken, and the very low cases and the very few lockdowns that we’ve had,” she said.

“There’s been a lot of consultation with business a lot of consultation with the retail sector, the hospitality tourism sector,” Ms D’Ath said.

“We’ll continue to work with them to provide as much clarity as we can.”

However, she admitted it would be hard to put blanket rules in place.

“We don’t see those sorts of rules clearly laid out in other jurisdictions either,” she said.

“We’ve never gotten to the point of being absolute with restrictions for every single case.

“What we know about this virus is you can only provide so much clarity.”

Ms D’Ath said they were working on updating the Check-In App to see if vaccination status can be added, to make checks easier for businesses if needed.

“We’re working on what modifications can be made so that the vaccination status can also be read at the same time,” she said.

Acting Chief Health Officer, Dr Paul Aitken, also admitted the mask mandate for the southeast wasn’t going anywhere, even if the state hits the 80 per cent rate.

“We know masks are very effective at reducing transmission,” he said.

“I think there’ll be an evolution in mask-wearing.

“At the moment we are in a phase where the risk is low and then we’ll enter a higher risk phase where mask-wearing will increase.”