Queensland has recorded its third consecutive day without a local case of COVID-19 as concerns grow about Sydney’s outbreak spreading north.
Two new cases were detected in hotel quarantine and both were acquired overseas.
There are now 36 active cases across Queensland.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
942 people are still in home quarantine following the recent clusters in the state.
Health Minister Yvette D’Ath hosed down concerns about an impending hard border closure with NSW as cases of the virus creep north.
Over the weekend, it was revealed two positive cases has stayed at a Chinderah truck stop last Tuesday evening.
On Monday, a Coffs Harbour pub confirmed it had to close its doors after a positive case visited the venue on Thursday afternoon.
However, Minister D’Ath confirmed they won’t be making any hasty decision to slam the border shut.
“There is no proposed change for the NSW border,” she said.
“There has been no transmission outside of the local government areas that we have declared a hotspot in New South Wales
“There have been some positive cases that have traveled outside of those LGA’s but they have not transmitted to anyone else in those communities
“Also, there has been no positive sewage results outside of the local government hotspots that we have declared for New South Wales.
admits there it would be a logistical nightmare to
“We know that putting in place a physical, hard border is very logistically difficult but also impacts significantly on these border towns,” she said.
“We will only do this if we absolutely have to.”
There are also concerns about truck drivers bringing the virus into Queensland after a police operation busted dozens of truckies without a pass or the proper documentation to enter the state.
226 heavy vehicles were intercepted over the weekend at various border locations and 83 were found to not have the appropriate documentation.
29 had come out of a hotspot without the proper border pass.
Seven penalty infringement notices were dished out for COVID breaches.
Queensland Police Deputy Commissioner, Steve Gollschewski, confirmed one of the drivers had been to the same Chinderah truck stop where a positive case was detected over the weekend.
“Only one person has been placed into hotel quarantine. That driver had completely falsified records, was not cooperative with our investigation and, in fact, had come out of a hotspot and stopped at the Chinderah truck stop,” he said.
However, he stressed that the risk to the community was low.
“All the others, it was a matter of working through with them and making sure that they had the appropriate pass because they did have an exemption,” he said.
“Nonetheless, those who blatantly do the wrong thing can expect enforcement action to be taken.”
Acting Premier, Steven Miles, issues a stern warning to drivers and their companies to step up their act.
“It is absolutely critical that for us to allow freight to continue to move across border we need you to increase compliance,” Mr Miles said.
The operation will continue at the border to make sure drivers are getting the message.
WATCH: Truck busted on GC without exemption after being in hotspot