Good news for the Sunshine State today, with Queensland recording no new cases of coronavirus.
It comes as a massive relief, following the revelation a woman linked to Sydney’s growing COVID-19 cluster had travelled to Queensland while unknowingly infectious.
The woman, aged in her 50s, has since returned to Sydney after receiving the positive result.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
However, a number of venues and locations that the woman visited in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast have now been included in a public health alert.
Queensland Health says that while the risk to Queenslanders is considered low, anyone who has been in the below venues at these dates and times should get tested.
It’s not such good news over the border, with NSW today recording a further 13 cases linked to Sydney’s northern beaches COVID-19 cluster.
There are now 41 cases associated with the outbreak, with another two under investigation.
It’s again ignited fears the Queensland border could soon be slammed shut to all of Greater Sydney, throwing thousands of Christmas travel plans into disarray.
At this stage only the Northern Beaches remains a COVID hotspot, but Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young has previously admitted she wouldn’t be afraid to expand it, if the situation worsens.
Speaking to reporters on Saturday, Education Minister Grace Grace said the State Government will wait for the advice of Dr Young before making any further decision on border restrictions.
“I know that Sydney is very concerned and anxious about it, that makes Queensland concerned and anxious,” Ms Grace said.
“I’m sure the Chief Health Officer will be in discussions today with the Health Minister, the Premier, the Deputy Premier, and will be making decisions and announcing them as soon as possible.
“But we need to be vigilant, we need to make sure that we follow the health instructions… social distancing, proper hygiene and those kinds of things.
“I think at the moment the hotspots will remain the hotspots and closed as they were yesterday, whether that needs to be extended depends on where those new cases have come from.”
There are ten COVID-19 cases still considered active in Queensland, with the state’s border pass system now also back in action.
From 1AM on Saturday, anyone flying into Queensland from Sydney’s Northern Beaches is required to have a border declaration pass.
Travellers will also have to undergo 14 days mandatory hotel quarantine at their own expense.
Health Minister Yvette D’Ath and Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young will provide a COVID-19 update at 1.30pm Saturday.