North Korea fires missile over Japan

UPDATE @ August 29 2017 10am: Australia has joined the chorus of nations condemning the latest aggressive action from North Korea.

The rogue state launched a ballistic missile that flew over the north of Japan overnight.

PM Malcolm Turnbull has described it as ‘reckless’ after receiving a security briefing on the matter.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“We condemn this latest missile test in the strongest terms,” he told FiveAA radio on Tuesday, while confirming the rocket landed about 1000km to the east of Japan in the Pacific Ocean.

“The North Korean regime continues recklessly to threaten the peace and stability of the region and indeed of the world,” Mr Turnbull said.

He also implored all nations to impose the harshest sanctions on Pyongyang, particularly China.

“They have the ability to bring North Korea to its senses without military action.”

EARLIER @ August 29 2017 8am: The Japanese Government have confirmed North Korea fired a missile which passed over northern Japan earlier this morning.

A message was sent out through Japan’s national broadcaster to warn people in the north of the country.

There has been no sign of damage at this stage and the Japanese military did not attempt to shoot down the missile.

The Government’s J-Alert warning system advised people in Hokkaido, Aomori, Iwate, Miyagi, Akita, Yamagata, Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Niigata and Nagano to take precautions.

The alert about the missile shocked people in the country’s north.

It’s believed the missile broke into three pieces and fell into waters over a thousand kilometers east of Hokkaido.

The Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe said he would do all in his power to protect the Japanese public.

“We will make utmost efforts to firmly protect the lives of the people,” Abe said.