Notorious M1 bottleneck set for multi-million dollar upgrade

More money is set to be poured into fixing the M1 with the Federal Government to announce an extra $500 million dollars in Tuesday night’s budget.

The money will be spent upgrading the section of motorway between Daisy Hill and The Logan Motorway.

According to Newscorp, the money will go towards widening the M1 and fixing interchanges.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


But the State Government will be required to match the funding.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says congestion on the motorway is costing people time and money.

“I’ve seen traffic banked up for kilometres. That means we have tradies sitting in traffic when they could be earning money, we have parents missing out on time with their kids, and we have truckies who can’t get freight to their customers on time,” he told Newscorp.

The funding comes on top of $50 million announced last month to upgrade Exit 41 at Yatala and Exit 49 at Pimpama.

State Roads Minister Mark Bailey has attacked the announcement, accusing Canberra of discriminating against Queensland.

“Sadly we’ve seen the M1 funded in New South Wales with 80 per cent federal funding and only 50 per cent for Queensland and we get more of the same today,” Mr Bailey said.

“You’ve got to wonder what they have against Queensland because M1 motorists deserve the same fair deal as motorists in New South Wales.

Mr Bailey says they’ll consider the funding proposal but it’s too early to commit to matching it.

“We’ll always look at any additional funds but what we want is the same fair funding deal on roads and the M1 as other states get.

“You just got to wonder why they hate Queenslanders.”

The stretch of  motorway earmarked for an upgrade falls in the electorate of Forde which the Coalition is in serious danger of losing at the Federal election.

The LNP’s Bert Van Manen holds the seat on a margin of just 0.6 per cent.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments