NRL Grand Final crowd reduced amid Qld’s COVID threat

The NRL has been left scrambling ahead of Sunday night’s Grand Final after the Queensland Government cut crowd capacity amid the growing Covid threat.

Six new cases were recorded in Queensland on Thursday, forcing the Premier to reinstate Stage 2 restrictions across much of the south east, as well as Townsville.

It means the crowd for Suncorp Stadium’s huge clash between Penrith and South Sydney will be capped at 75 per cent capacity.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The match had already been declared a sell-out at the 52,000-seat stadium for the first NRL grand final to be held in the Sunshine State.

Annastacia Palaszczuk said the safety of Queenslanders was her main priority.

The future of the NRL Grand Final remains under a cloud.

“I think Queenslanders know we will always with the health of the first and that is exactly what we will do,” the Premier said.

“This is the advice that has been provided to me by Dr Young.

“It will depend each day how things progress in this state.

“It will be very critical the next 24-48 hours about whether or not we see any seeding into the community.

The Premier said it would be up to the NRL how to handle the difficult task of telling thousands of fans they will no longer be able to attend.

“It is going to be disappointing for people but we have to take the health advice,” the Premier said.

It’s believed around 12,000 people will now have to miss out. There have been suggestions previously that some of the last people to buy their tickets will be forced to miss out.

The NRL is yet to make an official comment.