NRL star Jarryd Hayne charged over alleged aggravated sexual assault of woman

UPDATE @ November 20, 6.30 AM | Rugby league star Jarryd Hayne has been released on bail after being charged with the aggravated sexual assault of a woman he allegedly met on social media.

The 30-year-old was arrested on Monday after handing himself into Ryde Police Station in Sydney around 4.00pm.

After being questioned by detectives he was charged with aggravated sexual assault-inflict actual bodily harm on victim.


Police say the alleged assault happened at a home in the Hunter region on NRL grand final night.

“Police will allege in court that the man attended a home in the Hunter region on Sunday 30 September 2018, and sexually assaulted a 26-year-old woman,” NSW police said in a statement.

Hayne has been granted strict conditional bail to appear at Burwood Local Court on Monday 10 December 2018.

EARLIER @ November 19, 6PM: Rugby league star Jarryd Hayne has now been charged over an alleged sexual assault.

Hayne was interviewed by detectives from the New South Wales Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad over an alleged incident with a woman in the Hunter Valley in September.

He handed himself in to Ryde Police station in Sydney around 4pm.

Detectives have now charged the 30-year-old with aggravated sexual assault and inflict actual bodily harm.

Police are still deciding whether to grant Hayne bail or remand him in custody.

EARLIER @ 5PM: Rugby League star Jarryd Hayne is in Police custody over an alleged sexual assault.

It follows allegations made by a woman in the New South Wales Hunter Valley who claims she suffered injuries during a sexual encounter with Hayne on September 30, the same night as the NRL Grand Final.

It’s understood the pair met on social media.

Hayne handed himself in at Ryde Police station where he was placed under arrest before being questioned by detectives from the New South Wales Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad.

7News reports Hayne has refused to answer any questions and charges are set to be laid.

Hayne’s future in the NRL was already in limbo with the off-contract star yet to be offered a new deal by the Parramatta Eels.

St George-Illawarra reportedly showed interest in signing him before going cold on the idea.

Hayne is also still defending a civil rape case brought against him in the United States during his time with the San Francisco 49ers.

He has strongly denied the allegations.

More to come