Former NRL star Sam Burgess been acquitted on appeal of intimidating his ex father-in-law during an altercation at his former wife’s family home in the NSW Southern Highlands.
Burgess, 32, was in February found guilty of intimidating Mr Hooke during a heated confrontation at Glenquarry in October 2019.
The court heard Burgess allegedly threatened his former father-in-law Mitchell Hooke by saying “F*** you, you’re a piece of s***, you’re just like your daughter, you’re a piece of s***” and “I’m going to get you.”
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
However, Burgess denied the allegation and instead accused Mr Hooke of threatening him.
He said “I’m going to ruin your career if it’s the last thing I do,” Burgess told the court last month.
The former South Sydney skipper was sentenced to a two-year good behaviour bond, before telling reporters outside court that he was going to appeal the decision.
“I’m confused with the decision, we’ve appealed the decision,” he said in February.
Burgess was not present in Goulburn District Court on Friday when his conviction was quashed after the judge ruled the allegations could not be proven beyond reasonable doubt.