POLICE have caught more than 700 people using their mobile phone while driving in less than 24 hours in NSW.
More than 1,000 drivers in total were booked in the one-day statewide traffic operation on Wednesday.
Officers issued 713 infringements for mobile phone offences and a further 317 for people not wearing seatbelts.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith of the State’s Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said seatbelts and mobile phone offences put all road-users at risk.
“So far this year, 195 people have died on NSW roads. It is risky and selfish behaviour that is costing these lives in many instances,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Smith said.
“To have more than 1,000 booked in a single day for mobile phone and seatbelt offences shows a lack of responsibility by many drivers and other road users.
“Simply put, seatbelts save lives. Despite them being compulsory since 1971, people still seem to ignore the basic task of putting a belt on as they enter their vehicle.
“Using a mobile phone while driving means a driver’s eyes are off the road and their concentration is somewhere other than driving, which is putting all road users at risk.
“We run Operation Compliance throughout the year specifically focussed on key risks to drivers, their passengers, and others on our roads in the hope we can change driver behaviour.
“These operations will continue until everyone can comply with simple road rules.”