New South Wales Police Force officers want you to remember two numbers this weekend and it’s not the grand final scores.
So far this year, 260 people have lost their lives on NSW roads, which means there have been 26 more deaths than the same time last year.
On Wednesday 30 September, a 48-year-old man has died following a head on crash between a Ford Falcon and Toyota Yaris at Mittagong. The 46-year-old female driver of the Ford Falcon remains in Liverpool Hospital with serious non-life threatening injuries.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Operation Slow Down, the state’s October long weekend road safety campaign, starts at 12.01am Friday 2 October 2015, and will continue until 11.59pm on Monday 5 October 2015. Double demerits will be in place over the entire long weekend for all speeding, seatbelt and motorcycle-helmet offences.
NSW Police Traffic and Highway Patrol Command Assistant Commissioner John Hartley said 26 more families were facing another holiday weekend this year without a loved one
“The NRL and AFL Grand Finals are on this weekend and police are prepared for more drivers to make the long-haul journeys to Sydney and Melbourne.
“Driving while you are tired is definitely a “no try” as you are more at risk of a being involved in a crash,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
“Driver Reviver stations are operating across NSW and whether it is at one of these sites or a favourite picnic stop, taking a break from the road every couple of hours is critical.
“Since Easter we have been telling motorists how important it was to #ShareToSurvive. We will have police on all major roads throughout the state as well as popular tourist routes, we can’t be behind the wheel of your car or the one beside you.
“Slow down, leave room between your car and the one in front of you and don’t become impatient as delays on holiday weekends are inevitable.”