NSW records 1220 new COVID cases, eight deaths

New South Wales has recorded 1220 new cases of COVID-19 and a further eight deaths.

A man in his 50s, a man in his 60s, two men and a woman in their 70s, a man in his 80s and two men in their 90s all died from the virus in the last 24 hours.

Officials have confirmed the majority had significant underlying medical conditions and just one had been fully vaccinated.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The death of a man in his 60s at a home in Sydney’s west has been referred to the Coroner.

The Sydney suburbs of Guildford, Auburn, Merrylands, Greenacre, Bankstown, Punchbowl, Dubbo and Granville remain the areas of concern.

Officials have also raised concerns about a spike in cases on the Central Coast with 22 new infections overnight.

New South Wales now has 74 per cent of the eligible population who have received their first dose of a COVID vaccine.

Local Government Areas of concern across Sydney have the highest rates with Blacktown on over 85 per cent, Camden on over 82 per cent, Parramatta 81 per cent, Canterbury-Bankstown on 76 per cent while in Dibbo the rate of first dose is over 77 per cent.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian says they are still working on a roadmap for when 70 per cent of the population is fully vaccinated, amid reports October 14 has been earmarked as a potential date for opening up.

“I’m very keen to make sure as soon as we have done the work and health had the appropriate input we make our road map public. We are looking forward to hitting 70 per cent double dose in October and I can’t stress enough now we’re encouraging people to not get left behind,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“I don’t want to put a date on it. We’re still working on the detail but it would be important to note that we’ve done a lot of work towards that already.”