The situation in Sydney is going from bad to worse, with another 163 local cases diagnosed overnight.
45 of those cases are known to have been infectious in the community, while the source of 76 other infections is under investigation.
A record 93,910 people came forward for testing.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The state has recorded its sixth death from this outbreak yesterday, with a man in his 80s sadly passing away yesterday.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard announced the numbers this morning, confirming it’s not looking good.
“Of these locally acquired cases, 87 are linked to a known case or cluster – 62 are household contacts and 25 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 76 cases is under investigation.
“45 cases were infectious in the community,” Minister Hazard said.
There are a number of areas of concern where authorities are calling for people to be particularly cautious for monitoring and testing.
On the north coast, that includes Byron Bay and Coffs Harbour.
It comes as New South Wales tries desperately to secure more doses of the Pfizer formula to try and vaccinate as many people as possible.
It’s understood the federal government has committed to allocated thousands of more doses from the national stockpile, but the exact number is not known.
While New South Wales authorities have pleaded with other states to consider redirecting some of their supplies, but so far, no states have accepted.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard says it’s incredibly disappointing.
NSW recorded 163 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night. pic.twitter.com/HHbLss3xpp
— NSW Health (@NSWHealth) July 24, 2021