NSW records four new local COVID-19 cases

NEW South Wales has recorded four new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours out of more than 32,000 tests across the state.

A fifth case was also recorded in hotel quarantine.

One of the local cases was the 18-year-old man from Western Sydney which was revealed to the media yesterday. He is linked to the growing Berala cluster which sits at 16 cases.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Another case is from western Sydney and has been identified as a household contact of a previously reported case whose source remains under investigation but is “likely” linked to the Berala cluster.

The next case was a man in his 20s who is a household contact of a case linked to the Avalon cluster and has been in isolation for the full infectious period.

That case has dashed hopes the Northern Beaches will be released from lockdown early with Acting Premier John Barilaro confirming restrictions would remain in place until January 9.

“To the people on the peninsula, and especially in the northern zone of the Northern Beaches, I know you’ve been doing it tough,” he said.

“You’ve been locked down for a period of time, but that was off the back of a significant seeding event, and the transmission of COVID in that area.

“We make these decisions to protect everyone, you, your family, the state and the nation.”

The other case is a man in his 30s, also from western Sydney, which is under investigation. Authorities have said he has no direct links to the Berala cluster.

“We are being very cautious about finding any of those missing chains of transmission,” NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said.

“So we’re continuing to call for anyone who went to either the BWS or Woolworths in Berala, between December 20 or December 31 to check our website for testing advice.

“Depending on the time you were there, you may be a close contact who athletes to get tested immediately and isolate for 14 days. If you have not checked, please do so.

A number of venues in western Sydney We have added a number to the list of alert. They include the Merrylands RSL, the Sydney Murugan Temple at Mays Hill, the Saravaana Bhavan Indian Restaurant in Parramatta and the Sydney Marina Dine In and Take Away at Pendle Hill.

Two more suburbs have been barred from attending the third cricket test at the SCG, starting tomorrow.

Residents from Wentworthville and Belmore are now unable to attend as well as residents from Auburn, Lidcombe, Potts Hill, Rookwood and Wentworthville, which were confirmed yesterday.

“One of the new cases lives in Wentworthville. We don’t know where the person acquired it from. From the abundance of caution, the unlinked cases cause us the greatest concern. That’s why Wentworthville has been added,” Dr Chant said.
“The other case was Belmore. That person did work through a broad geographical area, but because of we haven’t pinned down the source, we have taken a very precautionary approach.”

Anyone who is attending the test at the SCG tomorrow is being urged to register their Opal Card for contact tracing.

“This is a very useful way of us tracing you if anything happens during your travel every day,” Howard Collins, CEO of Sydney Trains, said.

“So, if you’ve got an unregistered Opal card, please register it as well. Almost like the QR code, it’s a very good way of us working with health on tracing and tracking.”

He’s also reiterated the need to wear a mask on public transport.

“I want to thank every single mask wearing member of public transport for their co-operation. It’s been overwhelmingly positive.

“Those on a different planet, not understanding that mask wearing is mandatory, we’re working with the police transport command on a tasking operation.

“We have 10,000 CCTV cameras. We’re observing those areas and working on a tasking operation which will provide support.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments