NSW records four new local COVID-19 cases

NSW has recorded four new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 as a cluster in western Sydney continues to grow.

One additional local case has been recorded since 8pm last night and will be officially recorded in tomorrow’s numbers.

NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant confirmed two of the new cases are linked to the Berala BWS cluster which now stands at 15 cases.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


A further case, who attended a Woolworths at Berala but not the BWS is under investigation.

Anyone who visited the Berala Woolworths at all between December 20 and 31 have been told to get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result.

Another is a close contact of previously reported case linked to the Croydon cluster, which now numbers 10.

The overnight case is also linked to the Berala BSW cluster after the 18-year-old local man visited the store on Christmas Eve.

The man then travelled to western NSW and attended venues in Broken Hill, Orange and Nyngan for a camping trip.

Health authorities have issued alerts for a number of venues in those areas which may be a potential transmission site and residents are being urged to come forward and get tested.

Anyone who visited the Birdie Noshery and Drinking Establishment in Orange on Sunday, January 3 from 12:30pm to 2pm is now considered a close contact and should get tested immediately and isolate regardless of their test result.

Anyone who visited the Nyngan Riverside Tourist Park on January 2 and January 3 are also considered close contacts of the positive case.

“The case is still being re-interviewed and there may be some exposure venues released and testing,” Dr Chant said.

Dr Chant was thankful the man came forward and got tested.

“They got a text from us, saying you had been in that BWS on the 24th. Woke up, had a little bit of a run nose just yesterday and went out and got a test and did the right thing,” Dr Chant said.

“This gentleman was totally unaware of the issues, acted promptly on our text message and thank you so much. That helps out prevent further infections.”

Over 26,000 people were tested yesterday, up from 22,000 the day before.

Despite the increase, the Chief Health Officer urged more people to come forward.

“Again, a big call-out to the communities in western and south-western Sydney, please come forward for testing, that will give us the best intelligence on the transmission risk in that area,” Dr Chant said.

“You are doing this is a part of your protecting yourself loved ones. Even if you have got the minimal of symptoms, it’s critical you come out and get tested.”

Authorities also confirmed residents in certain suburbs of the Berala area have been barred from attending the third cricket test at the SCG, starting on Thursday.

Residents from Auburn, Berala, Lidcombe North, Regents Park, Rookwood and Potts Hill have been warned they could face a $1000 fine if they attend the match.

“I want to alert the community in those suburbs, if any of you think it’s still OK to come in with someone else who has got a ticket, or tickets, it won’t be OK,” NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said.

“There will be orders, health orders made, in the next 24 hours, that will enable New South Wales police to fine you $1,000 if you put foot inside the SCG.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments