Good news for New South Wales, with just one new case of the coronavirus diagnosed overnight.
The new case has popped up in a close contact of a confirmed case, linked to the Hornsby Hospital cluster.
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant says authorities aren’t too worried about the new case.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“The case went into isolation before the commencement of their infectious period following notification of the previous Hornsby case,” Doctor Chant said.
But she warned that the state isn’t out of the dark yet.
“While case numbers have remained low this week the virus continues to circulate in the community and vigilance must be maintained.
“It is vital that high rates of testing continue in order to find the source of the cases still under investigation and to identify and stop further spread of the virus,” she said.
It brings the total amount of infections within New South Wales to 3,783, with around 242 still considered active.
While 32,580 tests were conducted in the last 24 hour period.
This is the first day in two weeks that the state’s recorded no mystery cases of the virus.
One new case of COVID-19 was diagnosed in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, bringing the total number of cases in NSW to 3,783.
The new case is a close contact of a previously reported case at Hornsby Hospital. pic.twitter.com/6BKaW1gvc8
— NSW Health (@NSWHealth) August 21, 2020
It comes as Queensland Health officials again defend their border closures to New South Wales, saying it’s still too risky to consider reopening just yet.
Related article: Qld’s Chief Health Officer stands firm on Tweed border bubble