NSW records one death, 89 new COVID cases

A man in New South Wales has died after being infected with COVID-19 while the state recorded another 89 new local cases.

Officials have confirmed a man in his 70s from Sydney’s eastern suburbs died yesterday, the second death recorded during the current outbreak.

Today’s numbers come after 49,055 tests in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


New South Wales Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant has confirmed 64 of the cases were detected in southwest Sydney while 21 of the new cases were infectious in the community.

“This is still too many people in the community that are infectious. It is essential that we stay at home and only leave home for the most essential of reasons and can I just also reiterate – do not visit other family members in other households,” Dr Chant said.

Premier Gladys Berejkilian revealed more than three-quarters of the new cases are close family contacts.

“Again, it reinforces the message that every time you risk going outside and dog the wrong thing, you risk bringing the virus home to those you love the most and that is what the data is telling us,” The Premier said.

The state government will impose new rules for people in the Fairfield local government area in Sydney’s west with concerns about the number of people still leaving home to attend work.

The Premier has implored people to only leave home if they absolutely have to with anyone from the Fairfield LGA who leaves the area to attend work now required to get a COVID test every three days.

“Unfortunately, we see what we call asymptomatic people who don’t have symptoms, leaving the house, going out of the local area to work and unfortunately sending the virus to other parts of Greater Sydney or elsewhere and that’s what we have to stop,” the Premier said.

Dr Chant says Fairfield is not the only area of concern with residents in Roselands, Rosebery, Canterbury, Belmore, Sutherland, St George, West Hoxton, Glenfield and Green Valley, urged to get out and get tested.

Officials have also confirmed a positive case in Goulburn in the New South Wales Southern Tablelands.

A tradie from Sydney tested positive after working on a construction site next to Goulburn hospital.

Dr Chant says the man was infectious on July 9 and had been isolating since July 10.

“We will certainly rapidly assess the risk around this gentleman, in terms of his work colleagues and that will inform any additional restrictions and advice we need to have in place to actually control any spread.”

Police have also handed out 121 infringement notices in the last 24 hours, with 34 of those issued in southwest Sydney.