O.J. Simpson granted parole for robbery

O.J SIMPSON has been granted parole following his conviction of a robbery in Las Vegas in 2007.

The former NFL player could walk free as early as October 1, after a four-person board granted parole on Thursday after a hearing that lasted a little over one hour.

Simpson, 70, has spent more than eight years behind bars in a Nevada prison for the armed robbery, in which he and several accomplices broke into a Las Vegas hotel room to steal pieces of memorabilia from two men.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Simpson ordered that no one leave the room during the robbery, and one of his accomplices brandished a gun, although Simpson has denied having any knowledge of the group carrying a weapon.

Simpson was convicted on all 12 counts on October 3, 2008, exactly 13 years to the day after he was acquitted for the murders of Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman.

He was sentenced him to a minimum of nine years in prison and a maximum of 33 years.

Simpson maintained during his hearing in Lovelock, Nevada, that the items actually belonged to him.

“It’s kind of mind-boggling that [the state of California] turned over to me my property that I’m in jail for trying to retrieve it,” Simpson said.

“It was my property; I would never try to steal from anybody.”

Simpson argued that he had lived a “conflict-free life”, despite evidence that he beat his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson, and said was not holding a gun during the robbery.

“In no way, shape or form did I wish [the victims] any harm,” he said.

He also said he had been a model prisoner.

“I’ve done my time. I’ve done it as well and respectfully as I think anybody can,” he said.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments